OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 243 varmit scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 13:55
Most folks I know who actually seriously hunt Yotes use a shotgun and a rifle, usually two guys. I agree a nice variable would be good but having shot lots of varmints from 25 to 500 yards, I find a good fixed power scope works just fine. One less thing to go wrong. One wonders how the legends of the 30s, 40s & 50s ever were able to kill anything with their 270 & 30-06 popguns topped with 2.5x, 4x and 6x scopes? And no there wasn't more game then. Perhaps more "hunting" and less technology?

As for mounts and rings, the best bang for the buck is still the all steel Weavers. Not sexy but cheap and strong. Good enough for Finn's 375 H&H, good enough for me.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 13:59
most folks who hunt coyotes seriously dont use a shot gun, because then they gotta sew up a whole bunch of holes instead of just two, if i hunted coyotes alone i would carry a shot gun and a rifle, like les johnson does. if i hunt in a group of a couple of guys i guess i wouldnt worry so much, guys with the higher power scopes can take the dog that have been educated a time or two at long ranges and the guys with the lower powered scopes take care of the close stuff, i dont like to sew up a bunch of holes in a coyote that i want to sell.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:09
At the price of western pelts, you might cover primer costs. We shoot them to kill them, not for money.
Soon wolves (south of rt 191) will get the same treatment.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:11
yeah i know that, i was just there, this fall the way it sounds, when i lived there we got up to $60 a piece for them, but we worked really hard to make them pretty, some only got $30 but i think right now its all in the dumps.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:29
yeah  pyro im very happy with the scope  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:31
thats all that matters! hope it serves you well! hope mine does too!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:34
i really liek the circle x  crosshair  i think it will work great
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 15:10
Ditto on the circle-X.  Mine has the same reticle.  Covers about a 4" circle at 40 yds so works great on running deer, just put the circle over where I want to shoot.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 15:36
mine is just the plain old duplex, and i just put it on my 22-250 but haven had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like a decent scope for $100, i dont expect zeiss quality out of it of course.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:17
im thinking the next rifle will be a ruger .204    an prob use another trophy scope  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:00
nothing wrong with that either!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:31
i have not killed anything with my 243 yet  ive shot it a few times. an love it i really love the accutrigger system on it. 
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 09:39
Sounds like for what you wanted to spend you did real well. All you got to do is look thru some of them premium scopes from yesteryear to see how far glass, grinding, polishing, and coatings have come. It can be like night and day :>) Good Hunting....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 05:52
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Sounds like for what you wanted to spend you did real well. All you got to do is look thru some of them premium scopes from yesteryear to see how far glass, grinding, polishing, and coatings have come. It can be like night and day :>) Good Hunting....

Focus

The older scopes from thirty years ago are perfectly suitable for hunting--just like they were thirty years ago. You just won't be able to read the newspaper with it after dark like you can with some of the $700 (and UP) scopes of today.  If LOW LIGHT is one's major concern--well, then you're going to have to buy NEW, MODERN, pricey scopes. If you just want to Hunt during daylight hours, you can be well served with an older scope--providing it's in A-1 condition.  For folks on a budget, I think buying an older good scope is much more sensible than buying a $200 "entry level" bargain scope.  You can buy a fantastic old scope for Two Hundred Whole Dollars!!  I've seen RECENT (1990's) Bausch & Lomb 4000 scopes on e-bay for $199!!  The Bausch & Lombs of the 90s are just the  4200s of today---minus the RainGuard!!  Plus there are lots of other old brands out there that will work fine during the daytime.                            --Ed            Bandito                 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 07:55
Remember when you buy a scope from an auction site you may get a good scope or you may get junk that needs fixing or is usless. If is to good to be true it usually in not.
Been there and done that.

Duce Whatever
Duce
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 08:42
Well, first of all you'll have three days to look it over...you can always send it back if its not good, and you buy from a reputable fellow. Don't buy anything from someone who says that you cannot inspect it. And then there are photos of the scope and the seller usually has some information about it---like, maybe it was HIS OWN scope for twenty years, and he used it two weeks a year....!

But from what I'm hearing on this forum-- even brand new expensive scopes need warranties because they are flying apart at the slightest touch!! So I can't be any worse off by buying a used scope that is practically mint, than by buying a brand newie that nobody's got any faith in-- unless its got an ironclad guarantee and a repair shop 50 miles away!!

I don't understand the negative logic. Buy something good because its good TO BEGIN WITH---not because they will fix the crappy thing when it quits on you!!         Wink  
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 08:54
I few years back I bought a well know German made scope on ebay name starts with a Z it arrived with the adjustments locked up and the reticle off center to the right by the time it was fixed it was more than it was worth the seller had disappeared. I will stick with our host SWFA I know they will be there tomarrow and stand behind their products.

Duce
Duce
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 10:09
Well, yes, I agree with you there. Good old SWFA.  But I have had good luck buying old stuff from "just folks" like myself.  Most people are just honest folks.    Naughty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic