OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low range variable scopes-new vs old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low range variable scopes-new vs old
    Posted: February/16/2008 at 07:00
                   Is the difference in image brightness THAT much better in the new 20mm vs older 20mm scopes? I know that the larger the objective ,the more light is let in,but how much larger would you have to go to see a big difference? Also I recently read that the european scopes use larger ocular lenses for better low light conditions? One more question. Can I use my three pair of LEVIS as trade-ins on a new scope? LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

til later
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 09:13
The coating, grinding and prisms are all better now.  The glass is "cleaner."  Its not "Just" the objective size that matters.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 09:15
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

The coating, grinding and prisms are all better now. The glass is "cleaner." Its not "Just" the objective size that matters.

That about covers the difference....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 10:14
                           I' m sure there's been BIG advances in lense qualities over the years but,taking into consideration equal lense qualities,which of these scopes for example would offer a brighter low light image (1.75-5x20 Leupold or 1.75-5x32 Burris Sig. Safari)and(1.75-6x32 Leupold or 1.5-6 Burris Sig. Select). APPRECIATING the help!

til later

P.S. Wife says I have ta keep the jeans so this is a cash deal!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 10:57

300, the ocular (eyepiece) diameter has nothing to do with amount of light transmission through the scope.  Ocular diameter affects field of view and eye relief.  The objective diameter does directly affect light transmission, but beyond a certain point, your eye cannot see the difference as objective diameter continues getting larger.  At about 7mm exit pupil, the scope is transmitting all the light the human eye can use.  So, since exit pupil is calculated by dividing objective dia (mm) by magnification, a 56mm objective is transmitting all the light your eye can use at 8X, a 42mm objective at 6X, 28mm objective at 4X, etc.

This is before lens and coatings quality and type is factored in, as they both affect light transmission as well.  Concerning coatings, the type of multicoating used has an effect on low light performance as well.  Coatings that optimize light transmission in the blue light spectrum will have better low light performance as well, all else being equal.

So, assuming the lens and coating quality of the scopes you compared were exactly equal, the one with the larger objective lens diameter would have a little better low light performance at the same magnifications.  Again, this basically holds true until exit pupil reaches 7mm, at which point continually increasing objective diameter doesn't offer an advantage the typical human eye can discern.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 11:08
(......and all Levi's must have rivets ground off and replaced with barbed wire fasteners. Carhartt coats and Woolrich coats with snaps have also been tearing up too many saddles and panniers, so grind all them off, too!) Shocked    --Ed ( but Pyro started all this nonsense!)

[ We do not even want to get into what them Danner boots and those White boots are doin' with all them EYEHOOKS!!!.....That will be another thread!]
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 13:42
Its good to see all but Ed are one the same track.......Ed hasn't got past the levi thing yet.........:>)

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 13:52
how did i start all this??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 14:59
By making that remark about Levi's versus Wrangler's!!!  You took my little joke and turned it into a Jerry Springer chair-throwing thread!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:01
well im sorry then my bad yall!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:14
No%20No             Not a problem, you Knothead!!       Smile
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:19
dude whats with the name calling, i would expect a lot more from oil field trash, and i can say that as i spent a fair amount of time in the patch myself! knot head!

roughneck!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:42
                          Alright ya damn brats! Break it up! I gotta make a decision here and I can't even think with all this damn yellin! NOW I need a scope and I"ve gotta compromise between weight and low light gathering,so is a Leupold 1.75-6x32 w/ hvy plex reticle any count? Gotta headache!

til later

P.S.  Ed,hog rings work better than barb wire fasteners.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:42
It was an affectionate name calling, Mr. Sensitive! Bandito  Hoo-Boy...." Don't tell my mother I work in the Oilfield..................She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse!"    Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:46
that would work s&w!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:47
If low light is your concern, then ditch Leupold.  Thier glass is dark.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 16:24
                      OK silver,hows about a Burris Sig. Safari 1.75-5x32. I tell ya I really like that Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 but I can't deal with the wt. of it,same with Burris' 1.5-6x40 Sig. Select. My rifle weighs 6 3/4lbs. w/ everything except scope and my 3.5-10x40AO Leupold makes it top hvy so I've gotta keep the wt. down. Appreciate some help!

til later
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 16:47
                      What'll work? The scope or the hog rings?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 16:48
hog rings, im not much of a leupold fan anymore.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic