OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett DMS and SIG 556

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett DMS and SIG 556
    Posted: February/16/2008 at 21:27
I mounted a Millett DMS-1 on a SIG 556 using a Wilson Combat one-piece 30mm mount. I had to put it on with the nuts on the left side because on the right side they interfered with the cocking handle. Is that a problem? Will they come lose under recoil?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 03:51
I'd use some BLUE thread lock if your worried about them coming loose.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 10:03

It shouldn't make any difference which side you put the nuts, you did right to clear the working parts.
 You DO realize that you need to post pictures for us, right?

(Major hypocrite speaking here, who doesn't even know HOW to post pics....Sad  )

Eldo In The Weeds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 14:38
I did add some blue loctite and here are some pics!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 14:49
Nice stick!! Thunbs%20Up
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 18:12

Well done, Sir!    
 Next step:  Range Report!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 18:54
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Well done, Sir!    
 Next step:  Range Report!

I shot it this morning using 55 gr South African surplus .223 and some 62-grain Prvi .223. Both shot really well.

The first two mags the action cycled a little slow a couple of times and the bolt didn't stay open after the last round. However, after that, everything worked 100%. I assume it was just a combo of new gun and new mags. I used the SIG factory mag, two Magpuls and an old USGI mag.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 19:26

Great!
   How do it's handling qualities compare to an AR15?
 Is there anything you particularly like or dislike about the 556?  How easily does it break down for cleaning?   Sorry for all the questions, you're the first guy I've talked to that has one!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:41
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Great!
   How do it's handling qualities compare to an AR15?
 Is there anything you particularly like or dislike about the 556?  How easily does it break down for cleaning?   Sorry for all the questions, you're the first guy I've talked to that has one!

It breaks down for cleaning pretty easily once I read the instructions. Big%20Grin It is nose heavy compared to an AR15 but not by much.

It did well with 55 and 62 grain ammo from 2 different manufacturers.
Awesome trigger--better than any stock AR
As accurate or better than my AR15 carbine
Uses AR15 mags
Chamber stays cleaner
The stock has handy places to store batteries

Dislikes:
I can flip off the safety with my thumb but I cannot quite reach it to turn it on w/o taking my hand off the trigger.

Lots of other owners and info here:

ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 19:44
BanditoSchweeeettttttttttt
DarrellM5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrellM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 10:43
I'm running the same scope on my 556 SWAT, but with the $23.00 CAA mount.  Works great.  I stole the Millett off my RRA AR15, so now I'm purchasing another one for it.

So far the Sig is shooting 3/4 MOA with 55 gr. and 62 gr. ammo.  It's supposed to get even nicer with heavier bullets due to the 1 in 7 twist.
The Infidel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 19:13
Very nice SIG!

I use an eoTech, or the Leupold 1.5-5 circle dot ill. I bought from SWFA... love that scope, too.

All the best,

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic