Print Page | Close Window

What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope

Printed From: OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc.
Category: Scopes
Forum Name: Tactical Scopes
Forum Description: Police and military tools of the trade
URL: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30339
Printed Date: November/15/2018 at 07:09


Topic: What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope
Posted By: ebow86
Subject: What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 01:15

I've been out of the "optics game" so to speak for quite some time now, but I was wondering what is generally considered to one of the toughest most durable scopes that money can buy nowadays? Price being no object.




Replies:
Posted By: ahiaring
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 02:22
Schmidt bender Police Marksman line is as about good as its gets, the 5-25x56 PM II is nothing short of out of this world incredible......its however bout 3500 bucks


Posted By: ebow86
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 04:04
Wow, just did a quick search, their line of scopes are indeed incredible.


Posted By: billyburl2
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 08:24
NightForce,U.S.O., Henny's, Premier all have a  very rugged reputation as well. The Vortex razor is also developing one. There are several others as well that aren't in stratosphere as far price goes. If you have a price range and a options list we will try to help...

-------------
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?


Posted By: lucytuma
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 09:52
Fixed powers from most manufactures are usually very reliable, also add the Supersniper line of scopes to the "toughest" list.

-------------
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson


Posted By: Rancid Coolaid
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:42
Anything mechanical can/will break.

Leupolds break more than most.


My top 2 for durability are Premier and Nightfroce.  Others have broken both, I have yet to break either.

Hensoldt is best all-around, followed closely by Premier, in my opinion. But Hensoldt isn't as bomb-proof as Premier, or mine wasn't.  

S&B makes a great scope, but they too fail.

If your primary concern in tactical optics is which will not break, you are doing it wrong.

I'm just say'in!


-------------
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.


Posted By: stickbow46
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 12:54
RC ,Hens wasn't? She is gone?
 
I own the Premier LT & it seems to be holding up very well on my T/C .460mag. but that's not a 50 either.I have broken 2 scopes on that rifle.
 
Welcome to the OT Ebow !


-------------
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken


Posted By: Rancid Coolaid
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 13:20
Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

I like the Premier Heritage so much, I have a LT on the way, I have high hopes.


-------------
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.


Posted By: FireEMT5
Date Posted: September/19/2011 at 16:40
What about the SS line from SWFA?  Not the most expensive out there, but all in all I have never really heard of them breaking.  They are tested and approved for .50 cal.
Stumbling upon a thread saying a SS scope broke is very rare - at least I haven't seen many if any that I can recall.
 
Hard to beat for the money.  Priced way below many of the alpha scopes.
 


Posted By: ebow86
Date Posted: September/20/2011 at 03:15
This doesn't suprise me at all, there are several suggestions here for toughest most durable scope. I guess it might be too difficult and too broad of a question to pin point one specific model.


Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: September/20/2011 at 20:54
http://swfa.com/US-Optics-10x44-ST-10-30mm-Riflescope-P47395.aspx">US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope http://swfa.com/images/us_milgap_popup.jpg"> http://swfa.com/US-Optics-10x44-ST-10-30mm-Riflescope-P47395.aspx - US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOST10A
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$1,589.95 


-------------

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger


Posted By: ebow86
Date Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:07
I haven't seen any mention of some of the big european brands like Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski, how do these scopes stack up against the one's currently mentioned?


Posted By: topbrass
Date Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:26
Depends on what the scope is designed to do.  My vote goes to Trijicon ACOG's.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: September/21/2011 at 21:38
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

I like the Premier Heritage so much, I have a LT on the way, I have high hopes.
Hensoldt has always had a problem with illumination... 
Works great, so far, on mine but it is always a concern to me.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: September/21/2011 at 21:40
Originally posted by ebow86 ebow86 wrote:

I haven't seen any mention of some of the big european brands like Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski, how do these scopes stack up against the one's currently mentioned?

Hensoldt is the mil spec, "hardened" Zeiss...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Bigdaddy0381
Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 07:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

I like the Premier Heritage so much, I have a LT on the way, I have high hopes.
Hensoldt has always had a problem with illumination... 
Works great, so far, on mine but it is always a concern to me.  
 
 
Really, you would think a semi good production scope would work as advertizes. What a junker.... First of next week i'm sending a gaylord of used scope to the recyling center. shot it to me and I'll get you a nice door stop or parper weight out of it. Then I bet it will work all the time..Big Smile 
 
No wait, you can't do that. Thats your wifes scope, NO NO, never mind, SHE bought it for you.......Cool
 
 


-------------
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2


Posted By: SVT_Tactical
Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

I like the Premier Heritage so much, I have a LT on the way, I have high hopes.
Hensoldt has always had a problem with illumination... 
Works great, so far, on mine but it is always a concern to me.  
 
 
Really, you would think a semi good production scope would work as advertizes. What a junker.... First of next week i'm sending a gaylord of used scope to the recyling center. shot it to me and I'll get you a nice door stop or parper weight out of it. Then I bet it will work all the time..Big Smile 
 
No wait, you can't do that. Thats your wifes scope, NO NO, never mind, SHE bought it for you.......Cool
 
 
Shocked


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 08:34
The ZF6x42 on the PSG-1 was always "inop".  Only thing about it I didn't like.  Then sometimes, it would just "come on".
 
The Hensoldt ZF6-24x72 that MY WONDERFUL WIFE purchased FOR ME, has never given me any problems, but it has not seen high usage.  I don't use illumination much, anyway, but there are times when it is good to have.  I hope mine never fails, but would not be surprised at it. 
 
yes, you would think a halfway decent scope maker like Zeiss/Hensoldt could at least make the IR work.  Maybe one of these days they'll get their act together.  Until then, I guess I'll just have to depend on my wife to make my major scope purchases for me.  If she keeps trying, maybe she'll get me a good one...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 08:56
European buys you better glass not a tougher scope.  Combat Optics like the Aimpoint Comp M4s and the Trijicon ACOGS are designed for abuse.  Fixed power scopes are typically able to sustain the most abuse and continue to function so a fixed 6x or fixed 10x is a rock solid choice. If you want a top quality scope that is tough think Heinsoldt or U.S. Optics or Nightforce, or Premier. If you want to save some money and have a tough scope look at the Super Sniper scopes.   Just remember scopes are glass so there is a limit to how tough any of them are.

-------------

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger


Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 09:01
The scope used here is a 6x42 leupold FX3 Competition Hunter and the rifle is a Kimber Montana. The video does debunk the idea that one had to have a bull barrel and do special break in  to hit long range targets. One does however have to have eihter open tactical or covered target knobs to dial in correction at long range and as you can see his balistic chart is taped to the stock.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Competition-Hunter-Riflescope-P12754.aspx">Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope http://swfa.com/images/leupold_targetdot_popup.jpg">Target Dot http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Competition-Hunter-Riflescope-P12754.aspx -
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
  • $469.95


    -------------

    "Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
    Bobby Paul Doherty
    Texas Ranger


    Posted By: ebow86
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:23
    Is there a particular brand that the US military supply's our soldiers with or are there many different brands being used?


    Posted By: billyburl2
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:37
    Marines use S&B, and Premier. Army is still using Leuppy.

    -------------
    If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?


    Posted By: ebow86
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:44
    Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

    Marines use S&B, and Premier. Army is still using Leuppy.
     
    I take it you mean leupold. Intresting choice for the US Army.


    Posted By: stickbow46
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:45
    Most of the ones Wes mentioned are being used & also I understand S&B just got a nice contract along with the new Leupold 1.1-8x24 mk8 cqbss.

    -------------
    Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken


    Posted By: billyburl2
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:47
    No...It is a very old choice. The Army has not upgraded its "sniper day-optic" for a long long time. There are much better choices, both "for the money", and durability/capability wise.

    -------------
    If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?


    Posted By: ebow86
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:49
    Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

    No...It is a very old choice. The Army has not upgraded its "sniper day-optic" for a long long time. There are much better choices, both "for the money", and durability/capability wise.
     
    Not suprising at all. You say "very old choice", how old are we talking here?


    Posted By: billyburl2
    Date Posted: September/22/2011 at 21:51
    1998. Not sure when it replaced the M3 Ultra of the same configuration. Mil reticle, and MOA adjustments, old technology.

    -------------
    If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?


    Posted By: ebow86
    Date Posted: September/23/2011 at 00:55
    Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

    1998. Not sure when it replaced the M3 Ultra of the same configuration. Mil reticle, and MOA adjustments, old technology.
     
    Interesting, I would have thought it would have gone farther back that that.


    Posted By: koshkin
    Date Posted: September/25/2011 at 12:52
    A couple of comments:

    -We have no information on which scope is the toughest.  Only the manufacturers know how many of their scopes break and they virtually never release the information.  My personal impression is that most similarly priced scopes are made similarly well, although there are of course exceptions.

    -Anecdotal evidence suggests that most companies can build simple scopes to a high standard of durability.  The more complicated the design, the more you should expect to spend for that durability.

    -Lastly, I would not put too much trust in what the military picks.  Aside from the simple fact that they sometimes have fairly oddball requirements that are specific to use with their gear (not always available to civilians), they do not necessarily pick the best product.  They pick the product that is the cheapest, or the most important to a particular lobbyist, or the most beneficial to the guy banging the niece of the cousin of the uncle of some procurement honcho in DC, or....

    ILya


    -------------
    http://www.opticsthoughts.com - www.opticsthoughts.com
    http://fb.me/DarkLordOfOptics - Facebook
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is the illusion of knowledge


    Posted By: Kickboxer
    Date Posted: September/25/2011 at 14:02
    Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

    A couple of comments:

    -We have no information on which scope is the toughest.  Only the manufacturers know how many of their scopes break and they virtually never release the information.  My personal impression is that most similarly priced scopes are made similarly well, although there are of course exceptions.

    -Anecdotal evidence suggests that most companies can build simple scopes to a high standard of durability.  The more complicated the design, the more you should expect to spend for that durability.

    -Lastly, I would not put too much trust in what the military picks.  Aside from the simple fact that they sometimes have fairly oddball requirements that are specific to use with their gear (not always available to civilians), they do not necessarily pick the best product.  They pick the product that is the cheapest, or the most important to a particular lobbyist, or the most beneficial to the guy banging the niece of the cousin of the uncle of some procurement honcho in DC, or....

    ILya
    Actually, price is only a "consideration"... lowest bidder often does not win.  The biggest "hangup" in DoD purchasing is the concept of "adequate to perform the requirements"  and, often, contracting will modify requirements, arbitrarily, to lower the total cost.  DoD contracting is an organization rewarded for decreasing cost, not necessisarily providing the most usable or functional product.  The whole system SUCKS...  There are, however, ways around the idiocy of governent contracting personnel.  Fortunately...


    -------------
    Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

    There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living



    Print Page | Close Window