New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scope cleaning
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Scope cleaning

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  < 1 23 4>
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:24
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: January/27/2008
Location: Burlington,WV
Status: Offline
Points: 10592
 
  Seems the Zeiss are your safest bet.  I've used B&L to with no problems.
 
  Actually what you needed to know from Leupold is if the Windex with ammonia is safe to use.  They also make ammonia free glass cleaners.  Their 2012 catalog says to use pure alcohol,pure water,or a high grade glass cleaner.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:38
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: June/24/2012
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 22
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

Good news guys! I just got off the phone with the supervisor at Leupold and he went to go ask the Optical Engineer and she told him that Windex will not hurt their lens coating at all. The only thing it will do is leave streaks she said. But to be safe I bought some Zeiss lens wipes.Yippee


Interesting. I too just got off the phone with Leupold's tech support and the individual I talked with also asked others in tech support as well as an optical engineer and they said absolutely no on using Windex. It leaves too much goop on the surface, is hard on the coatings and seals.

What is up with Leupold? Some say one thing and others say something else.

They said to use 90% or greater alcohol or go to a camera store and use the cleaning supplies they offer.
    I asked would windex hurt the coatings and the engineer said no it would not. BUT and I say BUT they also said Windex is not the best thing to use because it is an oil and ammonia base and it will leave streaks on your lense. And they said if you left it on for long periods of time it could get behind the seals. "Hence not to use". But as for messing up the coatings it will not hurt it "UNLESS you leave it on for a long period of time". They ensured me that I did not hurt my optics.Big Smile
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:39
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12157
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

 
  Seems the Zeiss are your safest bet.  I've used B&L to with no problems.


I've used the Swarovski optics wipes, much like Zeiss brand , and they work great!!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:42
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 15518
I guess I can go back to 8000 grit sandpaper, now...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:44
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: January/27/2008
Location: Burlington,WV
Status: Offline
Points: 10592
 
 Only on the ones you've found NOT to be bullet proof please.   Big Grin
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:48
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
Avatar
The Flash

Joined: April/05/2011
Location: TEXAS
Status: Offline
Points: 4441
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I guess I can go back to 8000 grit sandpaper, now...
 
Dan, are you wetsanding????
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:48
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: January/27/2008
Location: Burlington,WV
Status: Offline
Points: 10592
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

 
  Seems the Zeiss are your safest bet.  I've used B&L to with no problems.


I've used the Swarovski optics wipes, much like Zeiss brand , and they work great!!
 
 
  I'm sure. I'd think any of the cleaners offered by the major optics manufacturers would be safe.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:50
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: July/15/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2366
Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:


Interesting. I too just got off the phone with Leupold's tech support and the individual I talked with also asked others in tech support as well as an optical engineer and they said absolutely no on using Windex. It leaves too much goop on the surface, is hard on the coatings and seals.

What is up with Leupold? Some say one thing and others say something else.

They said to use 90% or greater alcohol or go to a camera store and use the cleaning supplies they offer.
    I asked would windex hurt the coatings and the engineer said no it would not. BUT and I say BUT they also said Windex is not the best thing to use because it is an oil and ammonia base and it will leave streaks on your lense. And they said if you left it on for long periods of time it could get behind the seals. "Hence not to use". But as for messing up the coatings it will not hurt it "UNLESS you leave it on for a long period of time". They ensured me that I did not hurt my optics.Big Smile


Not arguing with you. I just posted what they told me. Like I said some say one thing and others say something else. It an 800 number so call again and see what they say this time.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:51
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Georgia peach

Joined: February/27/2007
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 12026
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I guess I can go back to 8000 grit sandpaper, now...
 
Dan, are you wetsanding????

 
 he spit sand's. His spit can take acid rain off a car hood and is safe for all rubber trim and is almost environmentally safe.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 14:52
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 12567
I find the frequent "is (fill in the blank chemical concoction) safe for cleaning lenses?" questions rather perplexing given that there's no shortage of optical lens cleaners specifically designed for that purpose available everywhere.

While there are probably multiple liquids that will work fine for lens cleaning without damaging lens coatings, one thing's for absolute certain... optical lens cleaning solutions (as the label seemingly implies) are totally safe and effective for that purpose, since they were specifically designed for that purpose.  Curiously, the stuff actually does a good job at cleaning lenses with no damage to delicate coatings too!  Who'da thunk it?  The same can be said for the chamois lens cleaning cloths that are often included in the box with new optics.

Which kinda begs the question... why worry about whether Windex, acetone, paint thinner, WD-40, diesel, goat's milk and whatever else is safe for lens coatings?  Why take unnecessary risks on your expensive optics when lens cleaning wipes/solutions are so inexpensive and readily available?  I could understand the urge to search for alternatives if the lens cleaning products were prohibitively expensive and/or only available by mail order, but neither is the case.

There's nothing magical about the word "Zeiss" on the Zeiss wipes / spray, since Zeiss doesn't manufacture it, except for the fact that, by putting their logo on the packaging, they obviously endorse its use on their optics.  The same solution is sold under different brand names (Nikon for one).  The reason the Zeiss wipes and lens spray is frequently recommended is not because it has "Zeiss" on the label, but the fact it's so readily available and it's inexpensive.  You can even get it at Wal-Mart.  Because I can pick up some more at the same time I'm buying spaghetti sauce, socks, and AA batteries, I too use the Zeiss wipes almost exclusively for cleaning optics these days.

I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.


Edited by RifleDude - June/27/2012 at 15:01
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:13
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: June/24/2012
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 22
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:


Interesting. I too just got off the phone with Leupold's tech support and the individual I talked with also asked others in tech support as well as an optical engineer and they said absolutely no on using Windex. It leaves too much goop on the surface, is hard on the coatings and seals.

What is up with Leupold? Some say one thing and others say something else.

They said to use 90% or greater alcohol or go to a camera store and use the cleaning supplies they offer.
    I asked would windex hurt the coatings and the engineer said no it would not. BUT and I say BUT they also said Windex is not the best thing to use because it is an oil and ammonia base and it will leave streaks on your lense. And they said if you left it on for long periods of time it could get behind the seals. "Hence not to use". But as for messing up the coatings it will not hurt it "UNLESS you leave it on for a long period of time". They ensured me that I did not hurt my optics.Big Smile


Not arguing with you. I just posted what they told me. Like I said some say one thing and others say something else. It an 800 number so call again and see what they say this time.
I know your not arguing and neither am I; infact i appreciate you guys input. Basically when I told the supervisor that one Technision said a wile ago that windex was safe to use the supervisor did not understand why he told me that Because Leupold does not recommend the use of Windex. Not because it will take off the coatings "UNLESS it is left on for a relly long time". He said they don't recommend it is because it "leaves streaks on the lense", and if left for to long can get behind the seals. But he also told me that he was going to have a talk with some of the Technisions to stop telling people that if the did not have acetone or high grade glass cleaner that Windex will substitute for it. ....And thanks for all of the input guys I really do appreciate it alot.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:36
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 12567
The Zeiss (or Nikon, or Bauch and Lomb) lens cleaning wipes/spray neither damages coatings, nor leaves streaks, nor damages seals.  As a bonus, it actually cleans lenses!  Don't let its name fool you; remarkably, it's so versatile, it will also clean other brand lenses equally as well as it does Zeiss lenses.  It would seem to have all the attributes necessary for a good lens cleaning product! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:46
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: June/24/2012
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 22
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The Zeiss (or Nikon, or Bauch and Lomb) lens cleaning wipes/spray neither damages coatings, nor leaves streaks, nor damages seals.  As a bonus, it actually cleans lenses!  Don't let its name fool you; remarkably, it's so versatile, it will also clean other brand lenses equally as well as it does Zeiss lenses.  It would seem to have all the attributes necessary for a good lens cleaning product! Wink
Excellent
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:17
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 15518
Even wetsanding, the 8000 grit sandpaper occasionally leaves streaks... Then I move to black or gray finishing pads...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:24
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: January/27/2008
Location: Burlington,WV
Status: Offline
Points: 10592
 
   No Pics
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:32
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 15518
I'll have to get back with you... I've been cleaning my camera lenses...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:53
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12157
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

 
  Seems the Zeiss are your safest bet.  I've used B&L to with no problems.


I've used the Swarovski optics wipesmuch like Zeiss brand , and they work great!!
 
 
  I'm sure. I'd think any of the cleaners offered by the major optics manufacturers would be safe.


Thunbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 00:39
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1456
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:



I find the frequent "is (fill in the blank chemical concoction) safe for cleaning lenses?" questions rather perplexing given that there's no shortage of optical lens cleaners specifically designed for that purpose available everywhere.

While there are probably multiple liquids that will work fine for lens cleaning without damaging lens coatings, one thing's for absolute certain... optical lens cleaning solutions (as the label seemingly implies) are totally safe and effective for that purpose, since they were specifically designed for that purpose.  Curiously, the stuff actually does a good job at cleaning lenses with no damage to delicate coatings too!  Who'da thunk it?  The same can be said for the chamois lens cleaning cloths that are often included in the box with new optics.

Which kinda begs the question... why worry about whether Windex, acetone, paint thinner, WD-40, diesel, goat's milk and whatever else is safe for lens coatings?  Why take unnecessary risks on your expensive optics when lens cleaning wipes/solutions are so inexpensive and readily available?  I could understand the urge to search for alternatives if the lens cleaning products were prohibitively expensive and/or only available by mail order, but neither is the case.

There's nothing magical about the word "Zeiss" on the Zeiss wipes / spray, since Zeiss doesn't manufacture it, except for the fact that, by putting their logo on the packaging, they obviously endorse its use on their optics.  The same solution is sold under different brand names (Nikon for one).  The reason the Zeiss wipes and lens spray is frequently recommended is not because it has "Zeiss" on the label, but the fact it's so readily available and it's inexpensive.  You can even get it at Wal-Mart.  Because I can pick up some more at the same time I'm buying spaghetti sauce, socks, and AA batteries, I too use the Zeiss wipes almost exclusively for cleaning optics these days.

I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.






A little common sense goes a long way... two thumbs up.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 06:15
hunterbob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: June/21/2012
Location: Montgomery TX
Status: Offline
Points: 11
Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:36
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 15518
Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:52
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12157
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:



I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.




'nough said!!!  Excellent
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 08:20
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Georgia peach

Joined: February/27/2007
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 12026
while sitting in the stand I use Peanut butter. I apply a light heavy coat and swirl in circles for about 5 minutes. I then wipe if off with a slice of white bread (wheat doesn't work as well). This not only cleans my glass but also polishes to a nice and bright finish. Doing this I get 10 1/2 to 12 3/8 percent better light transmittance. If the glass is extra dirty I use chunky Peanut butter and wipe it off with  non buttered toast ( I hate getting butter on my glass) it will dissolve the special UV coatings that gather light. This also make for a pretty good snack if your glass is clean while in the stand. Please do not try this. Is has taken me many many years to prefect this method of cleaning. If you do want to try this start with a cheap Leupold scope or bino's with a larger objective. The larger objective will allow you to get the swirling technique correct before you use it on a nice scope like a BSA or something of that line.

It really all boils down to " use what you want to use". Just remember to keep us posted on the customer service.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 11:02
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: January/27/2008
Location: Burlington,WV
Status: Offline
Points: 10592
 
 
  Get in out of the heat,Bd!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 13:58
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: June/24/2012
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 22
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.
Well what do you use to clean your glass with Kickboxer?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 14:36
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12157
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  < 1 23 4>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Scope cleaning"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning scope lenses Bigdave Rifle Scopes 3
Best way to clean scope lens? brkncly Rifle Scopes 6
cleaning internals of scope boondocker Rifle Scopes 8
CLEANING THE LENS ON SCOPE countryboy Rifle Scopes 5
Cleaning a scope lens Iwastemoney2 Rifle Scopes 8 10/24/2004 1:00:08 PM
Cleaning Scope Lenses Old SF MJT Rifle Scopes 7 3/3/2006 12:21:49 AM
Cleaning scope lens jjake Rifle Scopes 11
A range/cleaning tip jonoMT Firearms 4
STM Stainless Steel Cleaning SVT_Tactical Reloading & Ballistics 21
Another Clean out of stuff SVT_Tactical Hunting and Shooting Gear For Sale 3


This page was generated in 0.297 seconds.