OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Confused 1911

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused 1911
    Posted: July/18/2009 at 17:07

I have a new Springfield 1911a .45 ss and i've had problems with the accuracy from day one,so today i buy a Kimber .22 Target conversion kit.  It fits perfect and shoots like a freaking dream ,i'm hitting the targets 95% of the time but with the .45 its more like 20% and it always shoots low,always, even off a sand bag(not so bad tho).I've tried all kinds of ammo with pretty much the same result.

So my hybrid Kimber/Spring is great but the 100% Springfield is poor.
Should i send it back to springfield ?

I'm classic shag nasty type.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 17:24
How low?

My guess is that your Springfield has fixed sites, or sites that are adjustable only by drifting the rear site.

You have several options, chief among them would be to send the slide to Wilson Combat or Novak's for the installation of serviceable sites.

Does the pistol group?  If so, the sites can be fixed and it should be a keeper (assuming, of course, 100% reliability, which should be a "given" in any pistol.

POI issues can be resolved.  Don't give up on ol' girl just yet.  How far low at 25 yards?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 17:36
It has fixed sights, the conversion .22 has adjustable.
At 25 yards with a 6 inch round target i'm lucky to hit it let alone get a group,it's shooting around 4 inch low to the centre of the target is my best guess,the .22 conversion will hit it all day long no problems.

I was thinking i was doing something wrong while shooting it until today.
I began to hate the gun until i did his Kimber conversion,in it's .22 format i love it.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2009 at 18:48
I can go over a dozen differant things with you and the 1911.  IF it rattles then it could be the gun.  If it doesn't rattle, but the front bushing is sloppy then it might be the gun.  IF the slide is loose and the barrel is loose it still might be the gun.  IF the thing is just shooting low as much as  6" at 25 yards, but in a tight group it might be the gun.  That one is 50/50 you or the gun, the same holds for any other point of aim issue.  The thing should shoot point of aim at 50 feet or 15 meteres, in a 8cm group standing on your head with a prod up your arse with the Sir Boy George singers in concert behind you in a drunken coral fest of Monty Python songs to a techno beat.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 00:31
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

I can go over a dozen differant things with you and the 1911.  IF it rattles then it could be the gun.  If it doesn't rattle, but the front bushing is sloppy then it might be the gun.  IF the slide is loose and the barrel is loose it still might be the gun.  IF the thing is just shooting low as much as  6" at 25 yards, but in a tight group it might be the gun.  That one is 50/50 you or the gun, the same holds for any other point of aim issue.  The thing should shoot point of aim at 50 feet or 15 meteres, in a 8cm group standing on your head with a prod up your arse with the Sir Boy George singers in concert behind you in a drunken coral fest of Monty Python songs to a techno beat.  

There aren't enough emoticons in the whole world to reply to this post!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 01:48
ShockedWOW!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 18:00
All i can find is the slide has sidewards movement the rest is tight.
safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 19:53

What a can of worms this could be.  Interesting.  A better description of what the pistol is shooting like would give a better idea of what is wrong, as the other guys have said and that could be one heck of a lot of things.  But, Springfield should handle the issue.  My milspec Springfield groups very well with the fixed sights and thus far has never had a failure to fire or eject with ball or hollow point ammo.  I could not ask more for a 479 dollar 1911.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 21:30
It certainly cant hurt to take it back where you bought it and tell them your issue and ask them to send it back.  All too often the problem is not the gun it is the shooter especially with hand guns.  Most good gunsmiths could put better sights on it. The question to me is first is it reliable - does it go  bang every time, if it does an issue with sights can be corrected. Bear in mind you did not buy a target model if you got one with basic fixed sights. There are many well made more expensive 1911 guns out there and you may want to trade toward a different gun. If you like the kimber conversion you may like a Kimber 1911.  I  have a kimber  SIS that I am quite happy with I prefer the series 70 style guns that are easier to take apart. The stainless Taurus seems to offer a lot of custom features at a low cost.   Want the best buy a Wilson combat.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/19/2009 at 21:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2009 at 21:50
Joe,

Is this the only 1911 you have problems with? Do you do ok with somebody elses .45?

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 06:42

Joe,

Is this the only 1911 you have problems with? Do you do ok with somebody elses .45?
That's a good point, a range member gave me his really old 1911 to try and it hit the target 7 times out of 7 with fixed sights also.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 08:29
The next question is do other people shoot it ok?

Do you have somebody that is GOOD with 1911's and specializes in them with a couple hours drive of you?  I mean an APG guild member or Handgunner 100 member if you can find one. 

Some basic things are what # spring are you running and when was it last new?  What load are you running?

Then, what about the extractor, will it hold a round? Does it have a slight curve (it should) or is it straight? Is the firing pin stop fitting well?  Those things affect feeding and reliablity.

Don't let the fixed sight thing throw you.  Most 1911 have fixed sights and shoot very close to point of aim at 50'.  They will be low at 25 yards.

You may well have some fit issues with the gun.  I would guess that you may also have some training issues. Without seeing both of you working it is hard to tell.  Most people either undermuscle or over muscle the gun. I'm guessing under because you get great results from the conversion. It take just abit more muscle to show the .45 who is boss, they like to torque around in the hand.  The shorter versions even more so.

WWW.formitch.com

safariarms man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safariarms man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 12:45
Good recommendations guys.  You gotta love those 1911s.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 07:58
Well someone else shot the gun last night and didn't fair any better than i did, so it's being sent back to springfeild.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 08:10
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

Well someone else shot the gun last night and didn't fair any better than i did, so it's being sent back to springfeild.

And Springfield is gonna due what? Get the slide fit, barrel and bushing fit by a pro and get the action slicked up.  That will get you a nice club level gun. Wink

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 14:05

Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

And Springfield is gonna due what? Get the slide fit, barrel and bushing fit by a pro and get the action slicked up.  That will get you a nice club level gun. Wink

I could hope for that!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:33
I have a friend (ex-Army Colonel) , who builds .45s for relaxation has about 20 of them. Beautiful weapons only shoots two of them.  Makes me want to cry for the others, the two he shoots are flat out shooters even at fifty yards. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic